Tuesday 16 February 2016

Gurus #7: A company worth knowing

What companies in your life right now make your life better?
And I mean really better, not just "I buy stuff I like there."
COMPANY is a word for people who make you feel less lonely, isn't it?
Yet many companies these days treat us like inhuman numbers. For example, the young plumber sent by my property management company told me it would be "inconvenient" if I chose the fixtures for my home, instead of him -- he hasn't been taught any caring at all about human beings, only about his clock and his convenience. Very common these days.

Well, here's a story about a company that's an antidote to that modern affliction. A company that genuinely DOES give people in my community, company. Like the television show "Cheers" has a pub where everyone knows your name, this store is a place where I have seen many people go for the community love they feel there.

This is a little article I wrote for a community award, but the story so uplifts me that I wanted to share it here too.
Joanne and Henry Wegiel of Calgary’s “The Cat House”
When I was laid off from my job last year, within a day I had called my local cat food store to ask if there was any chance of working there for a few hours now and then. Not for money, because my severance package was covering that, but for the company, the feeling valued, the get-out-of-the-house factor.
I have only just realized how unusual that is. There are no longer many community stores in Calgary where you feel so comfortable that you can simply ask, without shame, if you can have some comfort. But I also realized, while working there, that I am certainly not alone in being comforted by The Cat House’s friendly owners, Joanne and Henry Wegiel.
While I was there, nearly every customer who walked in the door was greeted by name and asked about this or that detail about their cat or their family or their life.
Every new task I learned and did while I was there earned me effusive praise. I paid attention and noticed all the other coworkers got this praise and encouragement too, and encouragement and praise came up in Joanne and Henry's conversations with several customers.
So when I saw The Calgary Awards come up, I realized that this community business was exactly the kind of neighbourhood business that we would all love to have more of, and I wanted to nominate them. Here are some of the traits that make them a community-minded, wonderful business to have in the neighbourhood.
Longevity in the community – The Cat House has been serving Calgarians for 24 years now, since 1991. In that time, they have twice expanded their operations, so that they are now three times their original size.
Community centre – most customers who walk in are greeted by name and with caring. It’s easy to see that some of us go there just to feel the friendliness. The proprietors of this store don't just know names, the ask about family situations, cats, jobs, and life events like moving. People feel comfortable and welcome, so they tell their stories in this community place.
And they're remembered. This is the way society used to be. The way that it still is in a few places. You go somewhere with real people, and you tell your story, and you get remembered. It's not the same on the internet.
Knowledge storage – I have often said that Joanne has about 6 PhDs worth of cat knowledge stored up in her brain. When my cat got funny bumps under her chin when we travelled to Arizona, who do you think I called? The Cat House. When you mention your cat has mats in their fur? Joanne asks you to bring your cat to the store so she can help you groom them out. Whenever anyone I know has some kind of weird problem with their cat, I say “try calling The Cat House. They’ll probably know.” You'll never get the same level of service and depth of knowledge at a big-box pet store. Yet some of my acquaintances still shop at the big box stores instead. Is it because they have become so modern that they are uncomfortable with real relationships? Or have they just not experienced the difference?
Cats are a huge part of the mental health in many peoples’ lives, and worrying about our cats can derail everything else we are supposed to pay attention to. Joanne sustains a lot of people with her care and attention to our cat problems.
Local Charities: Supporting local pet rescue organizations – As cat lovers, Joanne and Henry have always done everything possible to support the organizations that do good things for cats and other pets. Here are a few ways that they help:
  • They steadily donate necessary supplies, such as food and cat litter.
  • They hold fund-raising events to raise money for the organizations.
  • They act as a depot for people to bring donations for the organizations.
  • They sell calendars and other fund-raising items.
  • They act as a distribution centre for people who need to receive pet food assistance in times of financial need.
Introducing people to each other—Joanne and Henry understand the value of other human beings, and they take the old-fashioned time to introduce us to each other. Since they have taken time to know details about nearly every customer, it’s easy for them to make introductions, the really proper kind that include details about each person.
For example, I met two women who work at my local library, while I was attending a fund raising party that The Cat House was putting on for one of the animal shelters. Joanne took the time to introduce us with personal details and we started a deeper conversation than we ever had at the library – so now we have a better connection and a new friendship.
Green practices – Just ask the staff – The Cat House recycles just about everything that it’s possible for them to recycle, which is important considering the volume of shipping containers and packing materials they can go through.
Employing and mentoring youth and special needs people – Henry and Joanne employ one kind of person: cat lovers. The store owners are creative at designing tasks for all levels of ability, and are experts at bringing out the best in each employee.
And sometimes, the cat lovers are begging to start there, very young! Joanne and Henry are patient and kind with getting children involved at this centre of cat love through a volunteer program. They take the time to teach kids responsibility through helping with small tasks at the store.
Parents like me are delighted to have our kids mentored by Joanne and Henry, when they go there to volunteer to help out a few hours a week. Their ability to encourage, and their willingness to make time for people is legendary. I have never met people who praise more kindly or more frequently – even Dale Carnegie himself would be impressed with their results in staff productivity and satisfaction.
Long term staff – The Cat House keeps many of its employees and volunteers for a long duration, because they are treated so well there.
Yelp Online Reviews: It's no surprise that these guys have so many five-star reviews.
I hope that, instead of such establishments disappearing, this story might help inspire others to foster, grow, and support more of these small, life-sustaining shops.
We will never get the same sustenance from the big box stores as we do from neighbours who care about us and our small concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment